Sunday, July 20, 2008

Moonlight Madness Half Marathon

A few months ago I signed up for the "Moonlight Madness Six Tunnels Half Marathon". It really seemed like a good idea at the time. I ran a half marathon last January and have a strong desire to run a marathon sometime this year or early next year. The Half Marathon started at 9:00 p.m. last night and passed through three different bike and/or walking trails along Lake Mead. I am told I finished 22nd overall. My time was really slow. It was 100 degrees outside. The course followed three out and back trails, two of which were gradual climbs and descents with the final trail being a not so gradual climb and descent. Running at night with a headlamp was interesting, but not much fun. There were a lot of complaints of dizziness after the 10 mile mark.

After I finished I loaded up on water. The course directors also had oranges available. I ate a few slices of an orange and it was the most disgusting orange I have ever tried. I don't know if it was the orange, too much water, or too much running, but when I got to my car to drive home I lost it and threw up in the parking lot. When I got home my abs and/or stomach ached and I could not sleep. I was up until about 5:30 a.m. and then fell asleep for an hour or so. I then went back to sleep around 9:30 a.m. until noon. Hopefully I will make it through the day and sleep VERY well tonight.

All in all it was a rewarding experience and I am glad I did it. Hopefully I will start feeling more like myself over the next few hours and bask in the accomplishment.

No comments: