Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thank you Glenn

On March 12, 2009 I posted an entry about a trial I was involved in, and a comment my client made to me. We were waiting for the jury to come back with their verdict. Now this is a time that most of my client's freak out and get incredibly nervous waiting to hear how 8 strangers are going to decide my client's fate. We put on the best case we can, then its up to 8 regular joes off the street to do whatever they want in awarding my client what they need, or telling them they get nothing. Yet in this stressful situation, instead of being nervous or anxious at all, this client was as cool as the other side of the pillow. He told me "Don't worry David, you did a great job, if we don't win it's not your fault. I got the Lord on my side, and whatever happens is what He wants to happen, and I will be fine."

That client's name was Glenn Marchand. I have to update the entry from March 09 because on July 9, 2010 Glenn passed away. I attended his funeral service yesterday and told the story about how Glenn was calm and assured when the jury was about to come back, even though he had no idea what they would do, because he knew that whatever happened the Lord was on his side and Glenn would be fine. I told Glenn's young daughter that I know when the Lord called Glenn home, Glenn knew he had the Lord on his side, that whatever would happen is what the Lord wanted to happen, and that Glen, and all those who would love and miss him, would be fine. I told Glenn's daughter that I knew that was true for him, and for me, and for her. I also told her how grateful I was for Glenn's example to me of how putting faith in Christ really can bring peace, even in very stressful times.

I don't know how many times in my life I will reach a crossroad where events over which I have little control, but which will have a significant impact on my life (like a jury coming back after deliberating), will take place. I hope to live my life so that when I reach such a crossroad I will be able to say, as Glenn said, "Don't worry . . . I got the Lord on my side, and whatever happens is what He wants to happen, and I will be fine."

Thank you Glenn Marchand.


No comments: